Random Rambles of a Radio guy

Gentlemen! Let's broaden our minds!

Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Power of the Tie




They can be a powerful tool, let me explain...


This is something I have noticed since having to wear a suit to work everyday.

This is going to be hard to put into words so bear with me...


I think the best way to explain is it to tell the story of the first time I felt I had harnessed the power of the tie, and I didn't even know i could do it.

On my way home from work, I stopped at the grocery store to get something and was of course, still wearing the suit and tie. Of course people look at you funny, but I mean that is expected. I had been to this particular grocery store several other times, in street clothes. It doesn't not very good service, but come on its a grocery store, as long as they can ring the stuff in its all good, and its close to home, but I digress. In this particular incident I had about 3 staff members come ask me if I wanted help, and several people who had less stuff then I did asked me if i wanted to go ahead of them (I said no thank you of course)


I didn't really figure it all out till later, it was the TIE! I realize this shouldn't be such a shock to me considering the shallow looks based society we live in but its weird how one little peice of cloth can change things.


And I know what your thinking but i have been back to that store several times in street clothes since then and no such service was offered. I've noticed more suddle things on other occasions as well...

I guess its true what they say "Girls really go crazy bout' a sharp dressed man"

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I have two comments/questions.
1. So you don't think it was the actual suit you were wearing? You're argument suggests that you could go to the grocery store naked wearing only a tie and get great service. That would be funny to try.
2. I understand dress code, but I always wondered why radio people had to dress up so much. Nobody sees them...you think they could tone it down a tiney bit...like khaki's, collared shirt, tucked in, etc. Just curious about that.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Matt said...

well when i say "tie" i mean tie and shirt... in retrospect i guess i should have cleared that up...

and about the dress code thing i dunno, we are meant to look professional and especially news people who have to go out and do interviews sometime and people are always stopping by the station and stuff to pick up things they have won and such... plus yeah just a general dress code, some stations don't have such a strict code, just the bigger corporation owned ones (Goldenwest, Rawlco, etc)

 
At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home